November 6, 2008

Hmph.

Mississippi river from the Lowry bridge, Nordeast Minneapolis.
My Dad's folks in Wisconsin, 1983.
Been reading David Carr's personal history of drug abuse titled The Night of the Gun. I saw him late one night being interviewed on PBS, all gravel-voiced and articulate.  I was #27 on the waiting list from the Boise Library, I was given 14 days to read it (or return it rather, I don't suppose anyone minds if I actually read it or not).  On page 148 he discusses his multitude of arrests and how bored the cops became with him, one even saying "Lemme guess, lurking with intent to mope right?".
That made me think of the time my Grandfather was visiting from Wisconsin when my family lived in upstate New York and the house across the street was for sale. Periodically cars would slow-roll by and try to get a load of the property. Grandpa was pretty quiet unless he was coughing, which was quite often from his many years of cigarettes and hard living. His stint as a bartender gave him the quick wit my Dad inherited and I myself have been known to wield on a good day. Anyway, after about the fifth car in five minutes he mumbled something like "Hmph, moping with intent to gawk."
I laughed really hard after he turned to me and smirked even though I was kinda confused by the statement. 
Mr. Carr's book (so far) centers around his experiences in Minneapolis, my favorite town.
I'm drawn to tales of the sordid side and stories about places I've lived or like. I figured I'd start writing my own descriptions of what's up with what's going down but I myself have settled down so the sordid side isn't so sordid anymore. Don't worry, I'll post pictures as well.