January 1, 2009

Buddy Liam

The Fallon agency produced the awesome Buddy Lee ad campaign back in the 90's. They occupy numerous floors in a downtown Minneapolis skyscraper and I used to bring deliveries there almost daily. On one floor, crammed up against the ugly cubicle walls, near the pop machines and discarded, gigantic foam core displays, they have a (if not THE) Buddy Lee in a glass case. I seriously considered acquiring a hand truck and work coveralls and wheeling him out of there to his freedom. What a cool dude, I still feel guilty for not liberating him. Liam apparently likes his style as well.
This commercial was one of my favorites. A possible influence on Ali G? "See all my people dancin'?!" and no one is. Classic. 

Fallon puts out a ton of work and this one is great (I couldn't swipe it from their site so this is a grainy youtube version). I thought the song was by Pinback but it's actually Jose Gonzalez. Hunting around I found the same commercial but someone put Pinback in it instead -weird. 
Happy 2009, I hope you have plenty of colorful balls in your life this year.

2 comments:

Codizzle said...

I love it, Buddy Liam is totally rad, he looks like he can do a thing or two on the turntables himself.

P77 said...

For sure, he's showin' a binkie what's up right now! Kid's got skillz, playah.