January 9, 2009

BE ALERT. THE WORLD NEEDS MORE LERTS.

I'm happy the snow/ice/slush/sand has cleared off of most of the streets. Fighting for space with larger, heavier, faster vehicles is amplified by the frozen potpourri that occupies the shoulders and the bike lanes after the snow falls. When you spend enough time in traffic you begin to learn the nuances of bad drivers and their behavior. With that same experience you figure out which intersections are the most dangerous and you can adjust accordingly. I've been riding a bicycle in city traffic long enough that I can almost predict what an erratic driver is going to do next. 
That's assuming I can see that driver before they pull a douche-move.
Take Wednesday for instance, we had just finished our morning route and I was rolling back to ditch the cargo trailer. Bannock Street is two lanes and two-way with cars parked on both sides, add the cold shoulder of snow/sand and there isn't a whole lot of room for bikes and cars to share. I saw the shadow of the big white van before I  heard it 'cause it was right fucking next to me, I'm not sure how she didn't clip the left wheel of the trailer. I probably fogged up her window when I yelled "HEYHEYHEY!". She gets stuck behind two cars at the next Stop sign so I roll up to give her the stinkeye and cut between the van and a parked truck. She didn't look over so I continue on, getting off the line before her. She guns it and somehow manages to pass me even closer than the first near-hit. Naturally, she gets stopped behind the same two cars at the next intersection so I roll to the driver side window to tell her she almost hit me.
Only it's a dude behind the wheel. An older dude with really curly hair and glasses and wrinkled, oily skin and wearing what appears to be a jumpsuit. He rolls his window down and bleeps a little "what?" so I reiterate, with a bit more spittle, "YOU ALMOST HIT ME BACK THERE!". He mumbles "well, don't roll out in front of me next time". Nice. A 4,000 pound Boise City van driven by a 130 pound idiot with automotive-aggression on his agenda.
After lunch I simmered down and called the city Ombudsman to complain but was referred to the Mayor's office. A mildly amused woman took my name and pertinent info and even wrote down (or pretended to) the driver's remark. Reading it back to me over the phone "Well. Don't. Roll. Out in front. Of. Me next time?". She then assured me someone from the proper department will call with a follow up. It's Friday now and I'm expecting a phone call from the City any minute now. I'm expecting that call just like I'm expecting cars to stop turning right in front of me at 9th Street every morning.
 

2 comments:

The Dead Acorn said...

Sweet picture on the link to the mayor's office.

"Well, I'm no big city lawyer ..."

Anonymous said...

If I remember correctly he's had that same bike since he was a child. Or so legend has it. Bieter on a beater.
Mope