January 16, 2009

Ron Asheton 1949-2009

I heard Mudhoney for the first time when my friend Kevin was visiting me in upstate NY from Georgia. He was traveling the country with some buddies in a VW microbus. They all lived in Athens where they had way more exposure to new music than my little shit town. Anyway, this was before itunes and myspace, MTV still played music videos and I had to record my vinyl records onto tape cassettes to play in the car (to put the time in cleaner perspective, This was the first CD I ever bought). Superfuzz Bigmuff fucking killed me, Mudhoney was like punk rock with metal guitar, it was the music I had been waiting for. When I heard the Stooges for the first time I was shocked I had never listened to them before, Ron Asheton's guitar clearly laid the groundwork for guys like Steve Turner. I may have been late in getting on the Stooges train but I still ride it frequently. Unfortunately Ron Asheton  just hopped off at the last station.  




No comments: