January 22, 2009

Fun With(out) Photoshop

I don't have photoshop. I have iphoto which isn't the same thing but they both have "photo" in the name. Tilt-shift photography is typically made with a special/expensive lens that allows you to tweak the depth of field to give your image a miniature, model-train look. I recently came across this tutorial that allows someone with photoshop to edit an image and achieve similar results. Since iphoto can only take me so far, I figured I would try to use the techniques anyway and see what happened.















As recommended, I chose an overhead view since you would typically look down on a scale model from this angle. 
I was sure to include some color variation and a diversity of objects.























Once I had the photo I wanted I let the computer work it's magic. 
Manipulating the focus and increasing the color saturation gave the image
a distinct miniature feel. 
Came out pretty nice don't you say?
I didn't even need that stupid photoshop!



















 Here's the link if wanna try it for real: Tilt-shift photography.

4 comments:

Jonny Hamachi said...

Great example, cool, thanks, much better than the shortcut website. I have photoshop, but no knowledge.

I always wondered why you had Point Special propoganda in your headmast pic. I grew up on returnable longneck cases of that and Leiny.

Anonymous said...

I miss the returnables, man. We just recently acquired Leinie's locally but only the Hef or some summer crap. Hopefully the Orig and the Red are soon to follow.
I currently switch between PBR/Old Mil and Heineken depending on $ flow. Drank Point last time I was at my Grandma's house and my Uncle laughed at me. It is rather crummy.
Moper

Jonny Hamachi said...

I had the same experience went I went back. I was laughed at for asking about Point. Pretty bad stuff. We did drink a lot of Leinies. It's all about the Tecates on sale at the SuperLongs out here.

Anonymous said...

Oh TeaKates, how do i love thee? Let me count the ways...it's rarely on $ale here but still worth the indulgence. Thanks to A23 for furthering my addiction to those "little red pills".
mopey